RR3: Synthesis of Metal-organic frameworks for the detection of VOCs
Project Title: Synthesis of Metal-organic frameworks for the detection of VOCs (WP2)
Host Institution: CAU
- Vapour- phase and solution-based synthesis of pure and mixed-linker MOFs with finely tuned pore openings and pore surface chemistry
Short Description of Work & Expected Results:
- The synthesis efforts in the Stock group will focus on Al-, Zr- and Zn-based MOFs due to their chemical and thermal stabilities and our own experience with these materials. Mixed-ligand Al- and Zr-MOFs with known structure type will be synthesized first in order to study synergistic effects triggered by certain combinations of functional groups on the linkers, which will enhance the selectivity of analytes of interest.
- Host: VUB, Prof. J. Denayer, Timing: year 2, Length 6 months, Topic: Characterization through high-resolution adsorption measurements
- Host: ProfMOF, Karl Petter Lillerud, Timing: year 3, Length 2 months, Topic: Upscaling of MOF synthesis. Working in a non-academic setting.
- We are looking for a scientist with a very good background in materials synthesis and characterisation, especially using X-ray diffraction methods. Skills in structure determination from powder diffraction data using the Rietveld method as well as sorption measurements are also appreciated.
Recruited researcher: Ajay Padunnappattu